Vision insurance for adults is not a mandated coverage, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find it in your health insurance plan. Here are two ways you can get individual or family vision coverage:
1. BlueChoice HealthPlan coverage includes vision coverage for adults.
If you live in South Carolina, you can get vision coverage in your health insurance plan by enrolling with BlueChoice HealthPlan.
Even though it’s not a required coverage, BlueChoice includes it as a standard benefit as a way to stand out from other carriers.
For adult vision care (ages 20 and over), the coverage includes:
- $0 copayment for one routine eye exam or one exam for contact lenses per benefit period
- $45 copayment for one standard contact lens fitting per benefit period
- $0 copayment for one pair of eyewear from a designated selection every other benefit period.
Most carriers do not include vision insurance coverage in their plans. That’s OK, because you can buy a separate vision insurance policy…
2. Get a Stand-Alone Individual or Family Vision Insurance Policy with VSP.
There was a time not long ago when we couldn’t really find a vision insurance plan that you could get on it’s own (i.e. that wasn’t an add-on to some other policy). Fortunately we now have a solid option: the VSP Choice Plan.
VSP (Vision Service Plan) includes these benefits:
- Annual Examination: $15.00 Copay
- Materials: $25 Copay
- No deductibles
- No waiting periods
- No Copay for Contacts
- Your choice of network providers
- One pair of standard frames each 24 months
- One pair of single vision of standard lined multi-focal lenses (or) Contact lenses each 12 months
- Benefits provided In and Out of Network
- Discounts on Laser Vision Correction
And the price is reasonable.
(Note: That link takes you to a page called “Dental for Everyone.” Don’t worry – VSP will be the first plan you see when you enter your zip code.)
Questions? You’re welcome to contact us anytime.