Telemedicine saves your employees time and money, which translates to fewer missed hours of work and greater productivity.
Scroll down to learn how inexpensive it is.
Telemedicine is a really valuable employee benefit for any business, large or small. Here’s why:
Here’s the Problem
Imagine you have a key employee who comes down with a common illness – say, a sinus infection. With a basic antibiotic, she’ll be as good as new in no time. But for now she’s either missing work, or is working unproductively in misery (and maybe spreading her germs).
To get that antibiotic, the employee has to make an appointment with the doctor when there’s an opening. She’ll leave work to go sit in a waiting room for a while (with a bunch of other sick people), see the doctor, pay a copay (or full price), and get the prescription.
And the same thing happens when an employee has a sick child (with the added benefit of being very tired from providing late-night care!).
That’s a lot of time, hassle, and inconvenience that your employees can avoid.
How Telemedicine Solves the Problem
Now imagine the same employee going online to request a consultation with a doctor. 15 minutes later she’s in front of her computer talking to a doctor (in your state) via video. That doctor prescribes the medication so she can pick it up at her local pharmacy.
That was quick and easy. Sound like a better scenario to you?
Read on to see how it works and what it costs.
Telemedicine for Employers
You can provide your employees with access to a board-certified doctor in their state 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The doctor can even write prescriptions for basic diagnoses (like a sinus infection) when appropriate. It’s almost like having an on-site medical clinic available to employees and their families.
The American Medical Association says that 70% of doctor office visits and 40% of ER visits can be handled via telemedicine.
The benefits of telemedicine for employers include:
- Reduced downtime and fewer absences leading to greater productivity
- Simple enrollment
- Low cost
- Popular with employees
For employees, the benefits of using telemedicine include:
- Easy access and convenience – the service is available 24/7, 365 days a year
- Less time away from work for personal illness or child doctor visits
- A free alternative to office visits and urgent care centers
These benefits are particularly helpful if you don’t offer a health insurance plan or offer a high deductible plan with no office visit copay available.
How Much Does Telemedicine Cost?
The cost of access to telemedicine is $9.99/month per household. But you’ll get a discount if you provide it to your employees as a group benefit.
In fact, if the employer chooses to pay for the benefit, the price is reduced to $7.99/month per employee.
Contact us to talk about adding telemedicine to your company’s benefits plan.
How Does Telemedicine Work?
Virtual Care gives you access to Teladoc, the largest telemedicine provider in the market. You can consult a doctor by phone or video 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
1. You request a phone or video consultation online, by calling a toll-free customer service number, or by using their app.
2. Once a doctor is located (one who is licensed in the state you’re currently located), he or she will review your information and prescription history, based on what you’ll submit after you enroll. The doctor will then contact you.
On average, you will be contacted within 15 minutes of making your request.
3. The doctor will ask you a series of questions, as if you were in his or her office, and take action to resolve the issue. This could be a treatment plan or a prescription where appropriate.
4. If you’d like, information about the consultation can be sent to your primary care physician.
There are no contracts, so you can cancel at anytime. But once your employees start using it, we believe you won’t want to cancel it at all. Why not give it a try?