Do you have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for Obamacare?

Can someone who is not an American citizen get Obamacare coverage?
Yes this is possible. In fact, many non-citizens can qualify for insurance and premium subsidies. Read on to see who they are and what they need to do.
Before we move on, let’s address one hot political question: Can an illegal alien get Obamacare coverage?

How an Immigrant can Qualify for Obamacare

Here’s the deal: To qualify for coverage through the federal Marketplace, you must be a United States citizen or U.S. national, or be a non-citizen who is lawfully present in the U.S. for the entire period for which enrollment is sought.
So you can get coverage if you have residency status, a student visa, a green card, or some other work permit or visa as long as it allows you to legally stay in this country for all of 2015.
You will most likely be asked to provide documentation to confirm that you are qualified for Obamacare.

[button url=””]See Obamacare Plans and Prices Now[/button]

Acceptable Immigrant Documentation for Obamacare

The Marketplace will accept 18 different forms to satisfy the requirements for Obamacare:

  • Reentry Permit (I-327)
  • Permanent Resident Card, “Green Card” (I-551)
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (with temporary I-551 language)
  • Temporary I-551 Stamp (on Passport or I-94/I-94A)
  • Foreign passport
  • Arrival/Departure Record (I-94/I-94A)
  • Arrival/Departure Record in foreign passport (I-94)
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20)
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (DS-2019)
  • Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • Notice of Action (I-797)
  • Certification from U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR)
  • Document indicating withholding of removal (or withholding of deportation)
  • Administrative order staying removal issued by the Department of Homeland Security
  • Document indicating a member of a federally-recognized Indian tribe or American Indian born in Canada
  • Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) eligibility letter (if under 18)
  • Resident of American Samoa Card

During the enrollment process, you’ll be asked to indicate what kind of documentation you possess. Generally you will have to upload a copy of that document for the Marketplace to confirm your coverage.
If you’re legally present in the U.S., you can get health insurance and could qualify for premium subsidies to lower the cost. Find out if you’re eligible here:

[button url=””]Access our Simple Obamacare Enrollment System[/button]